Sunday 9 August 2015

Revising a Book Cover


I've just revised the book cover for my contemporary women's fiction/romance novel, The Dating Do-OverI had a designer create an illustration for the original cover, but a colleague of mine said that it just didn't grab her, so I thought I'd try something new. 

Covers can often be a matter of trial and error. I paid to have someone create a cover for my first Anna Nolan mystery, Framed for Murder, and never really liked it. Part of the problem was a lack of communication with the designer, and part was that the designer just wasn't very good, but I was new to the business and didn't know much about the elements going into a cover. Then I came up with the idea of using a cemetery photograph for the series, and I've been creating my own covers ever since.

When I saw this image, I knew I had found my heroine, Viv. That, her contemplative expression, and the hearts in the background, seemed just perfect for my story. I hope my readers agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment