Friday 30 October 2015

Countdown to Halloween: Nine Things I Love About Halloween


#8
Halloween candy - yum! Not just for children. How many people hold back a selection of their favourites so they can veg out on the couch with an assortment of candy and watch TV after all the trick-or-treaters have gone home, the light's blown out in the jack-o-lantern, and the front door's locked? 

One particularly good thing about Halloween candy is its size. You can sample a variety of stuff without feeling as guilty as if you had just consumed 4 candy bars.


Do any of you remember the days when people use to make their own Halloween treats? Not that everyone did when I was growing up, but you used to scurry to Mrs. Brown's house first for her home-made fudge, and on to Mrs. Green's for her popcorn balls. Then some nutso started putting razor blades in apples - yes, some folks handed out apples back then - and the whole trend of handing out homemade candy came to a crashing halt. Sigh.

When I was a kid, my favourite place to trick-or-treat was at my grandmother's house. Not only did she give my sisters' and me a full-sized chocolate bar, but she also gave each of us a quarter! Then my dad would take us across the street to my grandmother's neighbour. The four of us would ring the bell and say "trick-or-treat" when she opened the door. She'd peer past us to my father standing on the dusky sidewalk and say, "Is that you, Maxie? Come on in for a few minutes." Then we'd get the good stuff she'd been holding back for us, like the full-size bags of Cheesies. Although my dad never did take us to the corner grocery store before they ran out of candy. You have to know your trick-or-treat priorities on Halloween night and plan accordingly.

Hope you all have a sweet night tomorrow. Happy trick-or-treats!

If you would like to receive an e-mail when a new Cathy Spencer novel is released, just leave your name and e-mail address with the "Contact Cathy" app to the right of this post.

<Halloween candy>

No comments:

Post a Comment